Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Fainting issues


Tanner went back to school on Monday after being on track break for 4 weeks. I was really excited & looking forward to him being back in school. Well I had only been home for about 20 minutes after dropping him of when the school nurse called me to come pick him up. She said that he was pale & dizzy. After I picked him up & talking to him about what happened, I figured he had fainted. He said "I got really dizzy and then it got dark & darker & then I fell asleep for just one minute."
Then today around 10:45am the school nurse calls me again to tell me that I needed to come & pick him up. He was dizzy again & complaining about his stomach hurting really bad. I was really wondering if he was trying to get out of school.
I got him in to see his doctor. She checked everything. His blood pressure, blood sugar, urine, temperature & oxygen. Everything was fine. She asked me if anyone in the family fainted. So I told her that I did when I was younger. That my parents took me to all sorts of doctors. They did all kinds of tests just to tell my mom that I had syncopy. Syncopy means the tendency to faint. And that I would grow out of it. Well I did. But now I think I may have passed this on to my poor Tanner.
His doctor is referring him to a cardiologist & neurologist to make sure that everything else is ok before she can diagnose him with syncopy.

Looks like we now have to deal with fainting issues at our house.

9 comments:

Jen Rose said...

ahhh poor Tanner. I am so sorry because that is so scary! I really hope that he grows out of that soon. Like this week. Good luck!

Candace said...

oh! my! gosh!

danggit! poor guy. you were never on medication, huh? it just had to pass? of course there could be much worse things to deal w/, but this is just not fun for either of you. sorry.

Mucho take it easy... said...

I still can't believe that. Poor guy. It's always interesting how kids explain to you what is happening to their bodies. I hope this doesn't happen very much in the future.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I am so sorry! Poor Tanner! I feel your pain as a Mom. Its not easy seeing your kids go through something like that! And how scary for you becuase Tanner is such an active boy!!

Jennifer said...

I'm so sorry. I hope the dr's can give a diagnosis quick and that he will be able to outgrow it soon!

Cherine said...

Oh man my mom was telling me. I hope he doesn't have these fainting spells very often!!!

Sara said...

Amber! I've talked to you ten times since wednesday and you never said he fainted again! I must be the worst friend to not know this. Next time please let me take carson and crew so you can take care of tanner. Here I worry about passing things on to my kids like my nose and you have this. Sorry babe. let me know what I can do to help.

chanel said...

how scary. at least you had that and can relate and maybe feel a little at ease that it isn't something very serious. Poor kid!
Poor mama!

Melody said...

Poor little guy! Does it scare him? It would freak me out! But it must be 'kind of' comforting to know though what it maybe is and that it probably runs in the family. Not that you shouldn't be worried or anything. I would be. Anyway I hope everything goes O.k. at the doctor and we'll say a prayer for him.